fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Olivier Moses <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 07:24:00 -0800
Subject: CONTAACT FEDERAL WESTERN UNION IF THERE IS ANY PROBLEM
Attention: My Dear Customer
This is to inform you that this office was instructed to pay your fund
$4.5Million U.S.A Dollars by Federal Govenrment Of Benin between now
until end of April 2014 per day you will receive the sum of 5,000
However be informed that we have send the sum of $5000 Dollars this
morning to avoid cancellation of your payment you have only four hours
to call this office upon the receipt of this email the maximum amount
you wiLL be receiving per day starting from today is $5000 in three
You payment information is this.
Sender's Name;:: raymond raab
MTCN NUMBER:::: :5326526237
Text Question:::How Much?
Once again you are advice to reconfirm your information such as
Further more you advised to call us as the instruction was passed that
within 10hours without hearing from you. Count your payment
canceled.Number to call is below listed Manager Director Office Dr.Dan
Ike,of Phone Number+229 98492837
E-mail addresses: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thanks and my regards
I am the Secretary of Western Union Office
Mr Olivier Moses