fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: =?UTF-8?Q?=4A=4F=48=4E=53=4F=4E=20=26=20=4D=41=52=59=20=46=4F=58=57=45=4C=4C?= <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 13:08:35 +0300
#20 HELOISIE SILVERTON
REPLY TO ADDRESS: email@example.com
Attn: (WE NEED YOUR HELPFUL ASSISTANCE)
I Johnson and my sister Mary may wish to know if we can entrust in you in helping us to receive the $35mUSD (Thirty Five Million United States Dollars) our parents had with a Financial Institution here before their untimely death by the assassins. Our Father was a know politician and was assassinated alongside with my mother Carol on a good Sunday morning on their way to the church and since then all has not been the same for us because our uncles has been looking for a way to frustrate our effort not to succeed in life just because I have failed to let them know anything regarding the money. Please dear if it is your wish to help us receive our money and keep it safe in your account, I and Mary will be very happy indeed to discuss further with you.
I really wanted to start up an investment right now over there because I have now graduated from the University and I am ready for real estate investments. Please you should be free and work with me because this money is big and I really know I cannot work this alone considering my age at the present. Thus the management board of the company has written me twice for the claims of these funds so I am confused on how to go ahead with this alone so I needed your utmost advice on good investments plans over there in your country.
Dear if this is possible for you .Can you assure us of the under listed, when you receive this money as our Beneficiary, so as to enable us complete our Education in your country.
1. Securing a 2 rooms apartment for I and Mary, which we shall pay for when we come up.
2. Helping us investing on a profitable business and as well guiding the affairs of any investments the both parties will invest on as the managing director on our behalf .this is due to the fact that I cannot handle such amount of money over there in your country.
Please just bear in your mind that if you can assist us this situation at this point when we needed it most we shall be ready to offer you a good financial reward of the total money.
Thanks in hoping for your helpful suggestion & your kind response.
Johnson & Mary
Reply to address:firstname.lastname@example.org