fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "foreign payment department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "www.cenbank.org" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "www.cenbank.org" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 17:27:30 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
TINUBU SQUARE VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS.
RE: UNPAID INHERITANCE SUM.
WE HAVE RECEIVED AN INSTRUCTION FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY, THE
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE (FMF), AND THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN
PAYMENTS (SCFP), TO PAY YOU YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE FUND FROM OUR BANK
(CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA) IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE INTELLIGENT FINANCE BANK
SCOTLAND. THIS IS TO NOTIFY YOU THAT YOUR FUND WHICH IS THE TOTAL SUM OF
TEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS (US$10, 500,000.00), AS YOUR
CONTRACT/INHERITANCE FUND HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED FOR IMMEDIATE PAYMENT TO
YOU. AND YOUR INHERITANCE FUND PAYMENT HAS BEEN FINALIZED TO BE RELEASED
TO YOU AS THE LEGITIMATE BENEFICIARY OF THE FUND, VIA INTELLIGENT BANK.
MEANWHILE, WE WANT YOU TO CLARIFY IF YOU INDEED APPROVE A WOMAN FEW DAYS
AGO TO CLAIM YOUR FUND ON YOUR BEHALF, WHO NOW CLAIM THAT SHE IS YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE SENT BY YOU TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND.
NOTE THAT SHE ACTUALLY TENDERED SOME VITAL DOCUMENTS, WHICH PROVED THAT
YOU ACTUALLY SENT HER FOR THE COLLECTION OF THESE FUNDS.
BELOW IS THE LIST OF THE DOUCMENTS WHICH SHE TENDERED TO BANK:
1. LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION.
2. HIGH COURT INJUNCTION.
3. ORDER TO RELEASE.
DUE TO THE NATURE OF MY JOB, I CANNOT AFFORD TO MAKE ANY MISTAKE IN
RELEASING THESE FUNDS TO ANYONE EXCEPT YOU WHO IS THE RECOGNIZED TRUE
BENEFICIARY TO THESE FUNDS. NOTE THAT I ASKED HER TO COME BACK NEXT WEEK
SO I CAN VERIFY THIS FACT FROM YOU FIRST. KINDLY CLARIFY US ON THIS ISSUE
BEFORE WE MAKE THIS PAYMENT TO HER WHO CAME ON YOUR BEHALF.
HOWEVER, NOTE THAT WE ARE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU SHORTLY, AS YOU PROVIDE
THE REQUIRED INFORMATION BELLOW TO ENABLE OUR INTERNATIONAL FOREIGN
PAYMENT DEPARTMENT TO PROCESS YOUR PAYMENT FILE AND RELEASE YOUR FUND TO
YOU IMMEDIATELY. THE REQUIRED INFORMATION IS AS STATED BELOW:
NOTE THAT UPON RECEIPT OF THE ABOVE REQUESTED INFORMATION,WE SHALL BE ABLE
TO RECONFIRM AND EFFECT YOUR PAYMENT TO YOU IN ANY FORM OF YOUR CHOICE
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY, THIS REPUTABLE BANK HAS BEEN APPROVED
IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE INTELLIGENT FINANCE BANK, THEY HAVE BEEN
ACCREDITED TO HANDLE AND MAKE PAYMENT TO ALL FOREIGN CONTRACT/INHERITANCE
FUNDS BENEFICIARIES THIS QUARTER PAYMENT OF THE YEAR 2014. THEREFORE, WE
WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.
WE ARE WAITNG TO HERE FROM YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS YOU VISIT MY WEBSITE
AND READ MY PROFILE/BIODATA
DR.Balarabe Kwanso ( C.B.N )