fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "RBI Bank Board Management" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:58:58 +0530
Subject: IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT ORDER VIA ATM CARD CONTACT DR.ROBERT NOW.
Reserve Bank of India.
6, Sansad Marg,
New Delhi -110 001, India.
Office Timings: Working Hours
Weekdays :10:00 AM to 5:45 PM.
Saturdays :10:00 AM to 1:30 PM.
Registration No: (RBI9075),
Reference L 014/070/AY2,
Serial Number. 6401-07
IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT ORDER VIA ATM CARD
Dr.Robert Anderson the Legal Representative from United Nation Financial Authority, has actually been authorized by the Financial Service Authorities in Collaboration with United Nation Fund Release Order Department, to investigate the unnecessary delay on your payment which was registered in our Bank, recommended and approved in your favor. During the course of our Investigation, we discovered with dismay that your payment has been unnecessarily Delayed by corrupt officials of the RBI Bank who are Trying to divert your funds into their private accounts for selfish interest.
Furthermore, security for your funds was organized in the form of your personal Identification Reference number (014/070/AY2) for the ATM CARD and this will enable only you to have direct Control over your funds through this new arrangement of ATM MASTERCARD. We will monitor this payment Ourselves to avoid the hopeless situation created by the Officials of the bank again. An irrevocable payment guarantee has been issued, However, we are happy to inform you that based on our recommendation/Instructions; your total sum of ($3.5,55000.00USD) Three Million Five Hundred And Fifty Five Thousand United State Dollaes Only has been credited in your favor through ATM MASTER CARD.
KINDLY CONTACT MR.ROBERT ANDERSON. The United Nation Legal Representative in New Delhi India for the issuance and immediate delivery to your home address.
EMAIL CONTACT E-MAIL: Dr.firstname.lastname@example.org
MOBILE NUMBER: +9196-4337-3981
As soon as you establish a contact with him, an ATM card will be issued to you immediately which you can use to withdraw your funds in any Bank ATM Machine in your locality, provide to him the following information as stated below:
1. Your Full Name:
2. Address Where You Want the Courier Company to Send Your ATM Card
3. Your Age:
5. Telephone Numbers:
6. Your state and postal code:
The Financial Service Authorities in Collaboration with United Nation Fund Release Order Department has conveyed a power to him to finish this transaction to you within 72-hrs maximum hence the due formalities are been followed.
Send him an email and call him on phone immediately if you can and provide all the necessary information required in this process.
Customer care Dept.
Foreign Remittance Department.
Reserve Bank of India.
RBI Bank Board Management.