fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "REV. WILSON P KLERK" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 06:46:57 -0700
Subject: IRREVOCABLE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT
UNITED NATIONS NEW YORK
WORLD BANK ASSISTED PROGRAMME
DIRECTORATE OF INTERNATIONAL
PAYMENT AND TRANSFERS.
10017WIRE TRANSFER/AUDIT UNIT
Our Ref: WB/NF/UN/XX02x79
ATTN: BENEFICIARY ,
IRREVOCABLE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT
We have actually been authorized by the World Bank and international monetary fund (IMF), to investigate the unnecessary delay of your payment Recommendation and approval of your claims for payment is certified as genuine.
During the course of our investigation, we discovered with dismay that your payment has been unnecessarily Delayed by corrupt officials of the Bank,who are Trying to divert your Fund into their private accounts, to forestall this, security for your funds Was organized in the form of your personal Identification number (PIN) and your transfer access code (T.A.C),this will enable only you have direct Control over this fund.
We have also agreed with the World Bank and international monetary fund (IMF) that, we will handle this payment ourselves to avoid the hopeless situation created by these corrupt Officials.
We have obtained an irrevocable payment guarantee on your Payment, from the World Bank and international monetary Funds (IMF).We are happy to inform you that based on our recommendation/instructions; your Entire contract fund/inheritance claim has been credited in your favor through our paying bank.
You are therefore advice to contact: MR DOUGLAS BENSON ,of AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP the (un)payiny bank Liaison in Lagos Nigeria, EMAIL:email@example.com ,Tel:+2348074938857 , Fax :+234-1-6290583 to collect your original payment slip with your pin and transfer access code. As soon as you submit these codes and your payment slip to your bank, they will credit your account without delay.
NOTE: YOU ARE ADVICED TO RE COMFIRM YOUR INFORMATION TO AVOID TRANSFER OF THIS FUND INTO A WRONG ACCOUNT.
1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) ADDRESS,CITY,STATE AND COUNTRY.
3) PHONE,FAX AND MOBILE
4) COMPANY NAME(IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS
5) BANK NAME
6) BANK ADDRESS
7) ACCOUNT NUMBER
8) SWIFT CODE/ ROUTING NUMBER
9) PROFESSION,AGE AND MARITAL STATUS
10) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE.
REV. WILSON P KLERK
UNITED NATIONS, NEW YORK