fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "U.S ARMY USARPAC" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:45:52 -0700
Subject: Greetings from Wendy George U.S ARMY USARPAC
My Name is Capt. Wendy George i am a member of the U.S ARMY USARPAC medical team, which was deployed to Iraq at the beginning of the war in Iraq. But you and i know that the war has ended But i am still in Iraq because i have some funds in a consignment deposited with a security company, for me to proved this to you, see the site below for more information
I got your contact from your email chambers of commerce Directory,from your country who told me how reliable you are and am contacting you base on that and i do hope you are going to give me your trust in carrying out this project which will be of benefit for you and me and i will give you 40% of the Total sum as
your share after the transaction.
I will need you to assist me to received This funds in a consignment.
As soon as i hear from you i will give you details.
Capt. Wendy George.