fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "huge deposit" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: alex eyadema <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: alex eyadema <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 00:19:55 +0100
Subject: PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
This proposal may come to you as a big surprise, but I believe it is only a day that people meet and become great friends and business partners.It's my pleasure writing you this mail, I am a Togolese by Nationality. My name is ALEX EYADEMA, I am one of the numerous sons of Late GNASSINGBE EYADEMA, with so many wife and children which am one of them, former President of Togo who rule for 38 years and later was succeeded by my half brother and the first son FAURE EYADEMA. Before my father died he deposited huge amount of money in a security company here in Accra, Capital city of Ghana.
Before my father died, he instructed and confined in me as his son about his business and secrecy. As a matter of fact, my father gave me some documents bearing the name of a Security company in Accra capital city of Ghana, which he told me was the place he deposited huge amount of money, Gold and Diamond when he was assigned for special duty.
Armed with this documents that my father gave to me, I flew to Accra , Ghana where I confirmed the documents. The Company showed me two sealed trunk boxes with the inscription "FAMILY ARCHIVE" with my name being used as the next of kin in the deposit form.
However, my father had earlier informed me that he cleverly packed the Fifteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars ( $15.5 Million ) in one sealed trunk box the second box contains Gold and Diamond and told the Company that they contain the works of art. This he did in order to conceal the money from being detected.
Now with my father exit, I need a foreign partner with the image of God in him who will assist me to receive this proceeds in abroad , and who will equally not sidetrack me when this money get into his possession.
On completion of this transaction, I wish to offer you 25% of total sum for your assistance,10% for unforeseen or miscellaneous and 65% for I and my family and my family will also come over to your country for a joint investment according to your directives.
I am here in Ghana because of a treat of my life by my half brother, FAURE , the current President now, who is trying all means to confiscate the funds from me after knowing that my late father made a huge deposit with my name as his next of kin.
Contact me with the above mentioned information's if you know with can work together for more details.