fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dumorrage" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "stamp duty" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Mark Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:26:46 -0700
Subject: CONTACT DHL COURIER FOR YOUR ATM CARD
Having reviewed all the obstacles and problems surrounding the transfer
of your (USD$2.5 MILLION DOLLARS and your inability to meet up with some
charges levied against you due to the past transfer options, We the
Board of Directors, Bank Of Africa (UBA) has ordered our Foreign Payment
Unit to issue you a CORPORATE ATM CARD where your payment will be
uploaded and today, we got notice that your Payment has been uploaded
into this CORPORATE ATM CARD and also we have registered it with DHL for
delivery to you.For your information, The delivery charges has been paid
and they were supposed to have shipped your packaged ATM CARD but they
insisted that you
must re-confirm to them your current delivery address to ensure
accurate Delivery. MOST IMPORTANT:Due to the content of the package,DHL
mandated that before your package will be shipped, A Tax/Stamp Duty MUST
procured according to the New Customs Creed and the essence of such
Document is to ensure a hitch-free delivery and the amount is
$98.usd.Therefore reconfirm your current delivery address
Contact Dhl Director, Mr.Harrison Wilson,
Tel:+229 987 427 88
Please hurry now as your package might in cure dumorrages if it stays
more than 2 0r 3 days with DHL..
Thanks,Mr Mark Jones