fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031977004 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +447092858335 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Jackson Paul <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:34:14 +0100
Subject: REQUEST FOR A DELIVERY OF $10 MILLION DOLLARS TO YOUR DOOR STEP
Air Courier International Security Company Ltd.
Address: Beverly Hill Avenue, Queens Park London,
United Kingdom W1 2152.
Contact Person: Mr. Jackson Paul
Official Email: aircouriercompany@bahamamail.
Personal Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +44 7031 977 004
Fax: + 44 709 285 8335
REQUEST FOR A DELIVERY OF $10 MILLION DOLLARS TO YOUR DOOR STEP
How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?You may not
understand why this mail came to you. I have the duty to inform you that we
did receive an instruction to deliver your two consignments boxes with your
reference number xx538rfsqw. The consignments delivery instruction sent to
us has been going through the normal official approval process, and it is
with pleasure that I hereby bring to you the good news that your
consignment delivery has been finally approved.
This authorization was given to us since the signing of a memorandum of
understanding between our country and the government of your country
concerning the issue of delayed of your fund payments.
Note that our method of payment is by cash delivery system, this a process
whereby your funds will package into two metallic boxes and we shall
delegate a special diplomatic agent who will accompany the consignments
boxes down to your destination.
Our management Board gave their consent to this noble request in a way of
reciprocating the patronage of our valued global customers,hence you are
being contacted via a very private and secured email address. So you are
advised to maintain a very low profile till you quietly receive your
As the Director of Air Courier International security company, I hereby
assure you that your consignments boxes shall be deliver to you smoothly
and all normal official protocols shall be observed. All you have to do is
to reconfirm the following information of yours to enable us proceed
1, Your full name and current billing address.
2, Direct telephone number where you can be reach 24/7
3,Your nearest air port.
4, Copy of identification.
Once we receive this information, further details shall be giving to you
and the diplomatic agent will leave with your two trunk boxes.
In Sincere Service,
Mr. Jackson Paul
TELEPHONE: +44 7031 977 004
Fax: + 44 709 285 8335
Director Air Courier International security company London UK.