fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- "affidavit " (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:16:36 +0100
Subject: RESPOND TO CONFIRM URGENTLY
UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC.
HEAD OFFICE: U. B. A. HOUSE,
57, MARINA STREET, VICTORIA ISLAND
P. O. BOX 2406, LAGOS- NIGERIA.
MR. PHILLIPS ODUOZA
GROUP MANAGING DIRECTOR/CEO
OFFICE LINE: +2347046055953
DIRECT LINE: +2347010949993
FAX LINE: +234 12270491
UBA PLC WEBSITE: www.ubagroup.com
REF: UBA/222/XCC/MOFFICE/2013 ISIN CODE : NGUBA0000001; Legal Form: Other non-liability limited; Operational Status: Operational; OUR SWIFT CODE: UNAFNGLA.
Dear Esteemed Customer,
On the 21/08/2014, I wrote and informed you that, your Attorney Martins Ugo (SAN) since on the 20th of August, 2014 came to the UBA Plc Head Office with a Sworn Affidavit and Power of Attorney/Agreement which he did tendered to us requesting that your U-Direct Lion Prime account be activated and the Login Id or Password, ATM MasterCard with all your account documents be given to him.
Though, you were informed that, your U-Direct Lion Prime account was 100% activated and validated upon receipt of his Affidavit on your behalf should we release to him your PIN code and your Customer Verification Numnber (CVN) generated from the activation to enable you have access to your U-Direct Lion Prime account to make any transactions and to transfer your funds unconditionally to your designated account at zero COT has been handed over to him accordingly.
Meanwhile, the access/log in to your none resident US dollar U-Direct the Lion Prime account is through our website: https://www.ubadirect.com
Account Number/Corp. ID: 2012301293
User ID: UBA234766876
The only delay for the finalization of this activation/validation of your U-Direct account so that you will have direct and uninterupted access to the above account to transfer your funds gradually by yourself unconditionally online at zero COT were these vital documents you are required to tender:
1. Your Payment Clean Bill Certificate (CBC)
2. Your Currently paid Utility bill
3. Copy of your Identification
If finalized, you can then log into your account because our Inter-Switch System and the International Inter-Switch Board System (ITTSBS) will now recognize and grant you the accessibility to your account to enable you carry out your transfers as zero COT without any hitch or otherwise, maitain the account.
If you want to know more about me, Phillips Oduoza, log on to our bank's website viz: http://www.ubagroup.com/mc/bios, click on Phillips Oduoza. Or click directly to:
Please should you be in need of any further clarifications, don't hesitate to call me on any of the phone numbers: +2347010949993 or +2347046055953.
I await your quick response and confirmation before your payment details and account will be released to an unknown person.
Mr. Phillips Oduoza (CEO),
Group Managing Director/Executive Director.
United Bank for Africa Plc.