fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Juliet Raphael <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Mrs Juliet Raphael <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 02:52:34 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Investment asistance.
Â I wish to invest in your country which came into existence after a careful and comprehensive study and analysis of your countryâs development.
Â Without wasting much It will make a good sense to begin with an identification of my humble self. My name is Mrs. Juliet Raphael, from Cote DâIvoire married to Dr.
Mark Raphael who was shot dead in civil war here in Cote DâIvoire 2010.
My late Husband was loyal companion and a business representative of President Laurent Gbagbo the formal head of state of this country.
This was as a consequence of his cross carpeting from the previous regime to the new administration.
Â My husband was a fearless and vocal activist who stood firm on his feet and opposed to a large extent in Laurent Gbagbo Administration on what he termed Gross
Misconduct on the part of the former president.
Â President Laurent Gbagbo in collaboration with my husband are in possession of a huge amount of money from Cote DâIvoire Oil Refinery company before my late husband
assassination during the civil war.
Â My husband was told to lodge the money on behalf of foreign partner for the purchase of Ammunitions and no name was given to the bank as the name of foreign partner
which i am going to present you as one upon your acceptance .
Â Now that Laurent Gbagbo who knows about the existence of this Fund are in prison in CPI Holland and my husband dead , I have decided to present foreign partner to
enable the Â transfer this fund and for us to make a massive investment in your country. But the question is can I rely on you?
1. I am seeking that company or individual who have the ability to assist me for the transfer of fund, invest and management.
2. Does your account have the ability to accommodate huge sum?
3 What area of investment do you think this amount will be invested?
4. Have you received money from overseas before?
5. I need you as my business partner, sponsor and fund manager?
6. If you have the ability to handle this deal, respond for more clear details on how to go ahead?
7. The money involved is $25, 400, 000,00 only.
8. I will give your 20% for your assistance to accept to stand for me as the foreign partner who is to receive the deposited fund for onward investment and i have
every deposit proves with me which i have gone to the bank for the release of the fund but the bank said unless i will present the foreign partner so that the fund
will transfer to his account according to their agreement with my late husband who made them to understand that the fund belong to his foreign partner.
Â I would like to give you further details of the position of the funds and what you have to do when I get your response.
Â Please, if you're ready to assist me in this situation kindly provide me your personal data and your contact address to proceed forward.
Regards Mrs. Juliet Raphael