fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Financier; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Steve Ken <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 21:50:30 +0530
Subject: Instantly loan approval
Instantly loan approval
I wish to inform you that we
offer all kinds of loan such
as Private loan, Commercial
loan, Business loan, Home
refinancing loan, office loan,
and Personal Loans with A Very
Minimum annual Interest Rates
as 3% within 1
year to 10 years Repayment duration period to any part of
We give out loans Within the
range of $5,000 to
$200,000,000.00 USD.Our loans are well insured
and maximum security is our
note that if you are below 18
you don't have to apply,
Interested Persons should contact us today via Email:
Loan duration:10 years
Mr Steve Ken