fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "LOAN OFFER"<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 02:41:08 +0530
Subject: APPLY FOR A LOAN
We are financial builders and we give
out no credit check loans to everyone
ranging from personal, commercial,
business loans with our amounts
ranging from min $5,000 - max
$1,000,000 with a fixed and very low
interest rate of 2% do you want to
own a company? Do you want to own a
Home? Is Your Company having
financial problem? Do you have a
contract/project and need money to
fund it? Apply for a loan today and
get financed within 3-4 working days.
Loan Application Form
Loan Amount Needed:...............
Business Plan/Use Of Your
Thanks for taking your time to view
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.