fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: MR WILLIAM ERIC MAC <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:02:46 +0000
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Western_Un?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?ion=AE?=
Welcome to Western Union
Send Money Worldwide
FROM OFFICE OF THE WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.
LAGOS NIGERIA/ADDRESS 4 AVENUE APAPA LAGOS
I WOULD LIKE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE MINISTER OF FINANCE
DR.NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA HAS ORDERED THAT THE ONLY MONEY YOU WILL SEND
JUST $60 US DOLLARS SO THAT WE WILL START SENDING TO YOU YOUR $5000 US
DOLLARS DAILY UNTIL YOUR TOTAL FUND OF ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY
THOUSAND US DOLLARS IS PAID TO YOU AND IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLY BY
SENDING THIS FEE WITHIN THREE DAYS OF THIS ORDER,YOUR TOTAL FUND WOULD
BE CONFISCATED AND IT WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO GOVERNMENT TREASURY
ACCOUNT,SHE SAID THAT THIS IS THE FINAL ORDER.
I URGE YOU TO TRY AND SEE THAT YOU SEND THE $60 US DOLLARS IMMEDIATELY
AFTER YOU RECEIVE THIS EMAIL TODAY SO THAT WE WILL FINALIZE EVERY THING
TODAY,BY TOMORROW,YOU WILL START TO BE RECEIVING YOUR FIRST $5000 US
BELOW ARE THE PAYMENT INFORMATION TO SEND THE $60 US DOLLARS OK,
AND E MAIL US THE PAYMENT INFORMATION HERE IN OUR WESTERN UNION OFFICE E MAIL ADDRESS =
WE ARE WAITING TO RECEIVE THE PAYMENT INFORMATION'S IMMEDIATELY DO IT,
MR WILLIAM ERIC MAC.
FOREIGN OPERATION MANAGER
WESTERN UNION OFFICE NIGERIA
THIS IS OUR CONDUCT CODE ( 303)
Welcome to Western Union