fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "ENGR. JAMES CROMWELL" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 01:56:55 +0200
Subject: RE: CRUDE OIL LICENSE PARTNERSHIP OFFER...
RE: CRUDE OIL LICENSE PARTNERSHIP OFFER.
How are you? I hope this email meets you in a perfect mood. I am writing to propose a business partnership on crude oil sales under the umbrella of Sonangol Limited here in the United Kingdom. I am presently working as a chemical/industrial engineer for Sonangol Liaison office here in Sonangol Ltd, United Kingdom and I have a proposal for you. I have a project am working on and am seeking a partner that I can trust. Someone who's reliable and business minded for this partnership. This project is highly productive in terms of the monthly commission you and I stand to make. When am talking about highly productive am talking about a business venture that would change lives and there's nothing illegal about my proposal and if you permit me I'll explain so you can have an idea of what this partnership entails.
I need a "Front man" to operate an already existing license and this is where you come in as my partner. The existing crude oil lifting license belongs to a client of mine; Mr. Roman Miroslav, a director and sole owner of his company in Russia. Unfortunately, Mr. Roman Miroslav cannot be active in business at this present moment because he is seriously ill with stroke and he has asked and given me the go ahead to seek a partner to assist me in my quest for this project by using the said crude oil lifting license on his behalf. My proposal is perfectly 100% legal because there are so many businesses and corporate bodies all over the world having people as "Front men" while the real owners choose to remain anonymous. I know this sound too good to be true but trust me it's 100% true and genuine. So you have absolutely nothing to worry about on the authenticity of this project. Like I said...This license will give us the sole mandate to lift and sell the crude oil under the umbrella of sonangol Limited and offcourse with my supervision as your inside man.
1. You come in as my "Front Man" applying for the crude oil contract but first we get you registered with Sonangol Ltd. I will package you as the "New crude oil sale license beneficiary" if you are interested. This will give you/your company/our joint company, the legal authority to act as crude oil sales agent/representative for Sonangol Ltd. The assignment of the crude oil sale license allocation to our company gives us the privilege to operate as first lifters of crude oil from the block. This attracts US$2.00 discount per barrel to the lifter. The US$2.00 is our (lifter) entitlement from the local petroleum agency (national petroleum agency), also being able to get final buyers entitles us also to a US$1.00 discount from the discount given to the end buyer as "mandates". As we are going to be lifting 2 million barrels per month from the block, US$2.00 discount from local petroleum agency sums up to US$4 million per month. And US$1.00 discount from the end buyer comes to US$2 million per month. That means we will be making commisions of about US$6,000,000:00 every month.
2. On equity sharing ratio, both of us will be netting in a cool US$6 Million as profits monthly and you'll be in charge of lodging in our sales commission in any nominated bank account of your choice and make my share available to me when I need to invest either in my home country England or yours. This proceeds known as commissions will be shared equally on equity ratio between the two of us at the end of every sales operation. This implies that we shall both go home with US$3 Million each.
Since I am a staff of Sonangol Ltd and am officially not allowed to own/operate a lifting license under the same company where I work, this is why I am proposing you come in as my "Front man", while I use my connection/network both inside and outside of the organization to help you secure the crude oil contract, connect buyers, deliver the crude vessels and get paid our commission. I will package you as the New crude oil sales license beneficiary, help secure all necessary documentation to facilitate and effect you as the beneficiary of the lifting license for this project.
Finally, a "Partnership Agreement" will be set in place to bind and protect us as partners legally to avoid conflicts or whatsoever in the near future in terms of funds sharing. The agreement will indicate all rights, duties, breakdown of commission due to partners as well as capital invested on this project. It will also be open for amendments to suit partners involved. if this illustrated email with brief on this project is understood then kindly state your interest and we can forge ahead with this business partnership. I will send you my telephone numbers for further communication once I get a positive response from you. Reply only to email@example.com
I await your response.
Engr. James Cromwell.