fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447010091696 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: lukasz ken <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:02:51 +0530
Subject: URGENT LOAN OFFER AT 3% INTEREST HURRY UP NOW
ENTRANCE CAST FINANCE
Do you need a loan? Are you in a financial crisis or needs money
to start your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt
or pay your bills or start a nice business? You have a low credit
score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from
local banks and other financial institutions? Here is your chance
to get a loan from our Organisation. We offer loans to
individuals for the following purposes and much more. Personal
Loan, Business Expansion, Business Start-up, Education, Debt
Consolidation, Hard Money Loans. We offer loan at low interest
rate of 3%. Contact us today via email: