fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Fred Jackson" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 00:09:08 -0300
Subject: YOUR IMMEDIATE CONTRACT PAYMENT
YOUR IMMEDIATE CONTRACT PAYMENT.
The Federal Government of Nigeria has been seriously warned by the United State Government International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, United Nations (UN) and other international bodies to make sure we settle most of our outstanding foreign debts we owed to Next of Kin's, Fund Beneficiaries and foreign contractors that executed contract with us immediately, this program is organized by the Board of Trustees and Directors for the end of the Year "POVERTY REDUCTION AND ERADICATION".
We are using our reputable and well known organization to let you know that you are one of our chosen beneficiaries for this program of "SCAM VICTIM,POVERTY REDUCTION AND ERADICATION" in your country e-mail directory.
We hereby inform you that you have successfully being chosen and compensated for the sum of $850,000,00 in our West Africa regional Annex. Now, for the compensated price, you will have to contact the Finance House and the Compensation Department for your perusals and claims of your compensated price and my dear beneficiary, below is the contact of the Finance House and Compensation Department (FHCD) for the collection and claims of your Funds.
But, a very surprising record was discovered in your payment file that is why you have not been contacted about this since then. Records showed that your inheritance payment has been approved four times and duly completed two times. Also we found out that these funds totaling $850,000,00 was transferred directly from the central bank of Nigeria to the below stated bank account on your authorization. This has now resulted in bringing the USA and British Government into the case and we really want you to explain to us what you know about this transfer/payment and delivery.
BANK NAME: STANDARD CHATTERED BANK,
BANK ADDRESS, 138-141 1ST FLOOR, EDINBURGH TOWER,
THE LANDMARK, 15 QUEENS ROAD, CENTRAL HONG KONG,
ACCOUNT NAME: INDO-CHINA GROUP LTD,
A/C #: USD114-102-5567-8,
SWIFT CODE: SCBL 11K111
The most baffling part is this payment keeps coming up in every period of debt reconciliation and verification always receives approval like now.
NOW OUR QUESTION IS, HAVE YOU RECEIVED YOUR FULL PAYMENT OR ANY PART OF YOUR FUND ENTITLEMENT OWED TO YOU BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT? WE NEED AN ANSWER FROM YOU WITHIN 24HOURS FROM NOW. AND IF WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE TODAY, WE WILL ASSUME YOU ARE INVOLVED AND HAVE RECEIVED OVER PAYMENT, WHICH ONE SHOULD BE RETURNED TO NIGERIA.
Help us to help you, If not call him immediately you receive this message today on is direct number (+2348170851022) or send me a details email disclaiming the information so that you will be issued with claim identification code (CIC) which will help you to secure your claim and payment from fraudulent officials. And also you will be advised and guided accordingly on how you will receive your legitimate fund entitlement from the Nigerian Government, which will be credited into your nominated bank account within 72hours from now or delivered to you as well to your door step.
Therefore, i would advise you to contactProf Chris Lawrence for assistance and inform him that your CASE FILE is 54AC003. Contact him directly via the information below if you are yet to receive your funds.
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION AWARD PROGRAM
Contact Officer:Prof Chris Lawrence
EMAIL : email@example.com
Once again it is important to note that your Fund/Payment was released with the following particulars attached to it.
(1) File Number: F1267-2009
(2) Ref. Code: KP23/857/MCL5 /CO
(3) Grant Number: MICC/97846563459/206
(4) Personal Identification Number (PIN): 0866750
Once again stop contacting those people. I advise that you contact Prof Chris Lawrence so that he can help you in the Transfer of your Funds instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction and Prof Chris Lawrence can also direct you to the paying bank.
Finally remember that I have forwarded instruction to the finance house on your behalf to commence with the Transfer of your funds to you as soon as you contact them without delay. Please be informed that you should treat this as confidential as ever and in good faith from the Board and Management of the Organization, Also be informed that your Funds must get to you through the Paying Bank .
You are to provide the following information.
YOUR FULL NAME:
DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER:
NEXT OF KIN:
Thanks. God Loves and Bless you and your family.
Hope to contact the F.H.C.D soon.
Mr Fred Jackson
FORMER UN SECRETARY GENERAL.