fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DAVID Brown" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:32:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Reply me pls
We are sorry for your payment delay is because of your Partners here make too many mistakes on your transfer Documents that was presented to us by your Partners.I am here to help you and Correct the mistakes on your fill documents and to allow to transfer the FUNDS into your bank account without any delay or up front payment from you again Umtil you received the FUNDs into your Bank Account.If you are ready to receive your first payment of usd$5.5 Million get back to me with your full details below.
Your Full Name:...................................
However, you should urgently re-confirm your full receiving details to ths email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)if on the contrary,we are Looking
forward to hearing from you.
Mr David Brown