fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "we advice you" (this email uses bad English)
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
Fraud email example:
From: Western Union Head Office <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Western Union Head Office <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:46:32 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: From the desk of Mr.Linda David Daniel.
Â WELCOME TO WESTERN UNION MONEYTRANSFER
Western Union Send Money Worldwide
Welcome to Western Union Money Transfer office Cotonou Benin .
ADDRES:Western Union AFRICA FINANCES
Lot B 2028 Agori Abomey-calavi 08 Bp 765 Cotonou Cotonou, Littoral .
I am Mr.Linda David, the former director of western union to Republic of Benin, I came down here in Cotonou Benin republic for an ECOWAS meeting and i was searching for some files that i left in this office and found out that you have not received your fund amountted at $2.700.000.00 usd since last year 2013, and i asked my assistant what happened that you have not receive your fund and he said that you refused to pay the $300.00 to update your western union transfer file before starting your transfer,
I'm contacting you this morning because the director of the (IMF) Internalional mornitory fund here in Benin Republic said that they will divert your funds to the Government Treasury account just because that you don't want to claim your funds since 2013.
But i told them to wait until i hear from you today so that i will know the reason why you rejected such amount of money $2.7million which will change your life just because of $300.00.
I want your urgent response as soon as you receive this email and explain to me the reason why you have abandon your funds because of $300.00. But if you don't need it then i can change your name to another person so that this Government will not claim this money but i know that you will not allow such thing to happen to you in your life.
If you are finding it difficult to get the fee $300.00 then you can go ahead and send the half fee $150.00 so that immediately you received your first payment $4,000 then you will send it back to us,
Please my dear i want to help you to receive this fund because it was a big shock to me that you have not receive your fund since 2years now and i'm very sorry for that and you will receive your fund before the end of this meeting which will take us 3days and i will be here to monitor it untill you receive your fund.
Once you send the payment today i will get back to you in next 25 minutes after your transfer is updated with the MTCN together, Question and answer for you to pick up your first payment immediately today,
we advice you to use the below information of our accountant to send the money.
1.Receiver's Name: Chinedu Omenwa
2.Text Question: When
4.Amount: $150 or $300.00 USD
Be rest assured that everything will be finalize the moment i receive the payment of $150.00 or $300.00 usd from you today and you will start picking up your daily payment of $4000.00 immediately until the total amount is completed. Our new contact Email is this for you to contact us as soon as send the fee
Western Union former Director