fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "contact the atm card center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "we advice you" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "FBI Headquarters" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 22:21:06 +0200
Subject: BANK TRANSFER
FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001
This is to officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have thoroughly Investigated with the help of our Intelligence Monitoring Network System that you are having an illegal Transaction with Impostors Claiming to be the Secretary General of the United Nation, Ban Ki-Moon, the Director of First Bank, First Commercial Bank, the CEO ABSA Bank, General Manager ABSA BANK, none officials of ABSA Bank, FNB, FIFA President, Chief Security Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Communications Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief IT & T Officer, Chief Marketing and Commercial Officer, Chief Transport and Logistics Officer. Impostors claiming to be the Federal Bureau of Investigation. During our Investigation, we noticed that the reason why you have not received your Payment is because you have not fulfilled your Financial Obligation given to you in respect of your Contract/Inheritance Payment.
The World Bank, FBI and Paris Club introduced this payment arrangement as to enable our contractors/inheritance beneficiary to receive their funds without any interference.
The ATM Master Express Credit Card was contracted and powered by GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE.
Below are few list of tracking number you can track from UPS website to confirm people like you who have received their payment successfully.
Name: SHANE SMITH BARNES
UPS SITE: www.ups.com
Tracking Number: 1ZR3W8914433389416
DELIVERED TO: VIRGINIA, MN, US
COUNTRY: UNITED STATE OF AMERICA
Therefore, we have contacted the Federal Ministry of Finance on your Behalf and they have brought a solution to your problem by coordinating your payment in total USD$11,000.000.00 in an atm card which you can use to withdraw money from any ATM MACHINE CENTER anywhere in the world with a maximum of $4000 to $5000 United States Dollars daily. You now have the lawful right to claim your fund in an atm card. Since the Federal Bureau of Investigation is involved in this transaction, you have to be rest assured for this is 100% risk free it is our duty to protect the American Citizens, European Citizens, Asian Citizen. All I want you to do is to contact the atm card CENTER Via email or call the office telephone number one of the Consultant will assist you for their requirements to proceed and procure your Approval Slip on your behalf which will cost you $1000 only and note that your Approval Slip which contains details of the agent who will process your transaction.
NAME: Mrs. James Jacobs Michelle
Office Telephone Numbers: +27 847-674-457
Do contact Mrs. James Jacobs. Michelle of the atm card center with your details:
So your files would be updated after which she will send the payment information which you'll use in making the payment of $1000 via Western Union Money Transfer for the procurement of your Approval Slip after which the Delivery of your atm card will be affected to your designated home Address without any further delay. Mrs. James Jacobs. Michelle will reply you with the secret code (1600 atm card). We advice you get back to the payment office after you have contacted the ATM SWIFT CARD CENTER and we do await your response so we can move on with our Investigation and make sure your ATM SWIFT CARD gets to you.
Thanks and hope to read from you soon.
FBI Director James B. Comey.
Director Since September 4, 2013 - Present
Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in Possession of your atm card, you are hereby advised only to be in contact with Mrs. James Jacobs Michelle of the atm card center who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your atm card payment and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.