fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 05:11:29 +0530
Subject: SSD Chemicals melting Solution Network Company
Welcome to SSD Chemicals melting Solution Network Company SSD Chemicals Solutions., Ltd.is A
manufactures, formulates and globally distributes specialty chemicals. The Company has acquires,
operates, preserve currency, sell's electronic chemicals, Currency bill preservatives and Deface
chemical products. Its electronic chemicals segment provides wet process chemicals to the
semiconductor industry, to preserve currency bill for a very long period of time and clean. They
are sold to industrial customers who use these preservatives primarily to extend the useful life
of their currency bill under their care.SSD Chemicals Solutions., Ltd. is a multiprogramming
international companies operated by worldwide Science Associates for the U.S. Department of
Currency (DOC).This company has a staff of approximately 200 scientists, engineers, technicians
and support staff and over 600 guest researchers annually. Our company staffs is available to
train researchers to conduct systematic effective fieldwork for more details please du contact
Jumeira Lake View, Clust 3,
Flt 4 Jumeira, Dubai City,
United Arab Emirates.
ED23/3 Suit 490, Bluedon Vile,
City Hall, Notigharm,
Crown Boulivard, Macpherson Ochid,
Texas, TX3456 N34.
Jor Bagh, New Delhi,
Tel: +918447654098, +919643267716