fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "waiting for your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Helen Giamma <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Mrs Helen Giamma <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 17:26:20 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Contact Person:Barrister Mr Bernard Williams (SAN)
My Dearest Friend,
I am very happy to inform you about my success in getting that fund. Now, I want you to contact my Barrister on the information below: Name: Barrister Mr Bernard Williams,Ask him to send you the total sum of (USD$3.5 Million), in ATM MASTER CARD,which I kept for you for your compensation.
So Now contact him immediately on his information bellow
Contact Person:Barrister Mr Bernard Williams (SAN)
Phone:+229 6867 4083.Call him in this number for the faster of this delivery your ATM MASTER CARD.
and send him the below needed information to enable him deliver your ATM MASTER CARD to you without any problem.
1 Full Name...
2 Your Home address and picture.
3 Your Current telephone number.
4 Your Age .
5 Your Country.
6 Your Occupation..
As soon as you receive this mail message. Please try to call the director immediately to know when your ATM Card could be deliver to you.
i wait for your update as soon as you have received your ATM Card package
Thank and God bless you. I am waiting for your urgent response.
Mrs Helen Giamma