fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "DR. MRS. RUTH EZE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 04:48:57 -0500
I know that you might be surprise on this mail, but I am telling you
the truth. I know that it is against my official duty to release
confidential issue like this to an outsider. There is nothing I can do
to help you beside this, I am taking this bold step because of my belief
as a Christian.
What I want to tell you is about your contract payment with the Federal
Government of Nigeria, there are a lot forces working against you right
from the last CBN Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and the current Governor
Sarah Alade, they have been frustrating you by demanding upfront payment
from you constantly, If I tell you that they
are using all these money you sent to them to work against you, you
might not believe it. But it is reality.
There is a way I can assist you get your fund without you paying any
charges to get your fund, it is risk but one have to take it, I have
assisted one woman from Mexico with it, it worked out though her fund
What you have to do is to open another bank account any where, if you
can open it in another place, it will be nice, but what you have to bear
in mind is that you have to retransfer the fund to another account
confirmed it in your account, I know why I want it this way.
If you want me to go ahead, let me know as soon as you get this mail,
if I make the transfer on this week, it might be next month that they
will find out and by then, you have retransferred the fund into another
Get back to me as soon as you get this mail,so that I will be in better
position to know what to do.
Dr. Mrs. Ruth Eze
KTT Dept CBN.