fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "nigeria national petroleum corporation" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "FROM SKYE BANK NIGERIA PLC." (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:57:29 -0700
Subject: SKYE BANK ATM MASTER CARD ACCRUED INTEREST ELECTRONICS SWAPPING PAYMENT
>From The Desk Of: Mr. Kehinde Durosinmi-Etti.
Managing Director/CEO SKYE Bank Nigeria Plc.
SKYE BANK NIGERIA PLC Address:
Head Office: 1668, Oyin Jolayemi Street,
Victoria Island, Lagos,Nigeria.
RE: ACCRUED INTEREST REMITTANCE ADVICE/Accrued Interest File Number: 49220IB109.
This is to officially inform you that the sum of US$2.5Million (Two Million Eight Hundred Thousand Dollars) has been accrued as interest on your initial deposit of your Inheritance/Contract funds which was deposited with our bank before the principal sum was withdrawn by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporations(NNPC) last week and directed our bank to release the overdue Accrued Interest Benefits funds to you without further delays as the rightful beneficiary which our bank has fully obliged,You are therefore advised to contact our New Managing Director/CEO ,Mr. Timothy Oguntayo on Telephone No:234-8090718221., and fax 234-1-759-1269 or email: ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) for more directives and advise on your US$2.5 Million Accrued Interest payment via ATM Master Card SWAPPED Payment system or issuance of a Skye bank brand new ATM Card as you may wish.
Equally, note that you are required to forward your bank information including copies of any form of identifications as the Bonafide Accrued Interest beneficiary, We would appreciate your urgent response regarding the above information, as this will enable our bank to expedite action without further delays for the release of the approved Accrued Interest sum of US$2.5Million to you via the all NEW ATM CARD PAYMENT SYSTEM INTO YOUR ALREADY BANK EXISTING ATM CARD without hassles via ELECTRONICS WIRE MEANS for confirmations within an hour and this will only be done once you have send the ATM CARD SWAPPING to our bank which is that this mode of payment will cost you before you will confirm your funds in your local bank existing ATM Master Card.
Accrued Interest Payment Mode and Modalities for your Convenience and clarity.Note Please Before You Respond.
Note please that due to the amount involved and as an Accrued Interest payment that SKYE Bank Nigeria Plc will release this your Accrued Interest funds to you directly into your own bank existing ATM Master Card OR VISA CARD with your local bankers in your country through what we call ATM CARD Payment Swapping Payment system (ACPSPS) once you have send the Swapping fees to our bank,what this means is that our bank will just Swap your accrued interest sum of US$2.5Million into your already existing bank ATM Card of your local banks through Electronic means with your account in our bank,all we need from you is just your existing ATM Card 16or 14 DIGITS NUMBERS for example if you have an ATM Card of HSBC BANK OR CHASE OR BARCLAY'S Bank or any other bank at all in your Country,all you need to do is just send to us your ATM CARD 14.16 or 18 digit numbers as is obtainable in your Country with that we will use the card numbers to credit your Accrued Interest payment into your existing ATM Card without delays,this
Please do acknowledge this mail as soon as you receive this letter and call our Managing Director/CEO,Mr. Timothy Oguntayo. on his direct telephone numbers: 234-8090718221., for more advise and the immediate swapping of your accrued interest payment into your existing bank ATM Card with your local bank in your country without delays.
SKYE Bank Nigeria Plc.
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED, if you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether is electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.