fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Ms. Shina Haidara Fanny" <>
Reply-To: "Ms. Shina Haidara Fanny" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 00:02:59 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Hello Dear

Date: 19: 11: 2014

Hello  Dear

My name are  Ms.Shina Haidara Fanny, The daughter of  Late Mr   Fanny  Bangoura. My late father want to Buarke, A Northern city to negotiate for the purchase of a cocoa plantation when he was shot by the rebel troupes fighting to take over the Government of the country.The death of my father has now made me an orphan and thereby exposing me to danger. Before his unfortunate death, my late father  called me   and told me as his only surviving Child, that he had deposited in one of the BANKS the sum of $ 10.5 (TEN MILLION,FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND USA DOLLARS). with my name a s the next of kin.  I am the only daughter of my father Mr   Fanny  Bangoura. I lost my mother when I  still a babe,  My father refused to re-marry another wife   because he felt solely responsible for my mother's death.

 This is so because he concentrated much on his businesses that he rarely   pays   attention to domestic affairs. He was always traveling taking care of   his businesses and political meeting that he did not notice when my mother took ill. He thought it was a minor illness and was ignorant of this. My mother on her own resorted   to self-medication. It was not until the illness degenerated that my father   took my mother to hospital where she was diagnosed to find out that  hepatitis had eaten deep into her blood stream. She didn't last long before she died. This happened when I was barely a year old. Based on this, my father  could not forgive  himself easily because of it and said he was responsible   for her death as he could have saved her if only he had paid attention to the things at home rather than concentrating much on his politice.  Despite all entreaties by friends and relatives, he refused to remarry but   ensured that I had
everything that I wanted. It was as a result of this   that he made me the next of kin to his fund deposit with the BANK and stated   that in the event of any eventuality, I should have a direct  access to the   deposit only when I am 27 years of age otherwise, I should have a   guardian/partner intercede on my behalf   for the release of the deposit to me. 

 Unfortunately, he died when i was up to the age. This is why I   have contacted you to serve as a guardian to me and as my foreign partner    for the transfer and investment of the fund overseas. My uncles does not   know about the fund because they had already taken my father's houses and   other properties because I am a girl and they said I do not have rights for any   property. They have requested to have my father's bank papers but I simply told them that I do not know where he kept them. The younger brother took   the house in the house in the village. I had at various times had discussions with the director of international remittance unit of the   Bank where my father deposited the funds and I was   assured that once, I have someone who would be willing to receive the funds on   my behalf, they shall
commence all proceedings to effect the release and transfer of the deposit to the person's.

I wait for your urgent respond to  
Shina Haidara Fanny

Anti-fraud resources: