fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "chief auditor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "JOHN SCOTT" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:15:52 -0600
Subject: CAN I TRUST YOU?
THIS IS TO OFFICIALY INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE VERIFIED ON YOUR CONTRACT
/INHERITANCE FILE that FOUND OUT the reasing WHY YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED
YOUR PAYMENT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT FULFILLED THE OBLIGATIONS GIVING TO
YOU IN RESPECT TO YOUR CONTRACT / INHERITANCE PAYMENT.
SECONDLY WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT YOU ARE STILL DEALING WITH THE NONE
OFFICIALS IN THE BANK SO SUCH ILLEGAL ACT LIKE THIS HAVE TO STOP IF YOU
are WISHES TO RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT SINCE WE HAVE DECIDED TO BRING A
SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM,RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ARRANGED YOUR PAYMENT THROUGH
OUR SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC, THAT IS THE LATEST INSTRUCTION
BY THE PRESIDENT CHIEF,GOODLUCK JONATHAN (GCFR) FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
THIS CARD CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW
YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD, BUT THE MAXIMUM IS
FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS PER DAY, SO IF YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND THIS
WAY PLEASE LET US KNOW BY FORWARDING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIONS;
1.YOUR FULL NAME:
1. PHONE AND FAX NUMBER:
2. ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT THEM TO SEND THE ATM CARD TO(P.O BOX NOT ACCEPTED)
3. YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION:
THE ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT $800,000.00
(EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) FOR YOUR INFORMATION YOU
HAVE TO STOP ANY FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR
OFFICE(s). THIS IS TO AVOID ANY HITCHES IN FINALIZING YOUR PAYMENT.
AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR MORE DIRECTION ON THIS
REGARDS ON HOW TO CONTACT THE SWIFT CARD CONSULT PAYMENT CENTER FOR
IMMEDIATE ISSUING OF YOUR ATM CARDNOTE: THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS, WE
HEREBY ISSUED YOU OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS (303) SO YOU HAVE TO
INDICATE THIS CODE IN ALL FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE.
CHIEF AUDITOR TO THE PRESIDENT
BARRISTER JOHN SCOTT.
EMAIL : email@example.com
KINDLY GET BACK TO US WITH OUR EMAIL