fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "liberia" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "DARWAHYUNIATI, SH, MH" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 15:29:33 +0700
Subject: Global Conference Meeting Invitation.
As the fight Commence towards total Emancipation of the mankind from Ebola Virus, we cordially invite you to the Forthcoming Global conference meeting on "Total Emancipation of mankind From Ebola Virus". this Global Conference Meeting is deemed to create awareness and training about Ebola Virus and to support the affected countries Withing the four wall of Earth.
Having Recognized the outbreak of the canker worm, the Most identified Virus types and species,includes Zaire Ebola virus (EBOV), Sudan Ebola virus (SUDV), TaÃ¯ Forest Ebola virus (TAFV), Reston Ebola virus (RESTV), and Bundibugyo Ebola virus (BDBV), named for their outbreak locations, At least 961 people have died of Ebola in West Africa, according to the World Health Organization. More than 1,700 people are infected with the virus, Including two Americans who contracted the disease in Liberia. The forthcoming conference Is designed to create awareness and training on Total Emancipation of mankind From the Virus.
This great Event is Scheduled to Take Place from 5th-11th of December 2014 at international convention center California, Unites States Of America. and from 14th-20th of December 2014 in Dakar Senegal. the forth coming Global conference Meeting is packaged by "United Against Ebola Virus" ( U.A.E.V ) and sponsored by World Health Organization, united nations organization. wife of the president United states of America and other Benevolent Donors and Organization worldwide.
For more information on how to attend the conference, contact the conference organizing committee via e-mail: email@example.com
Note: Do not Reply me, Contact The Organization Directly if you wish to Attend the Conference.
On behalf of the Organization,
United Against Ebola Virus.
Rev Dr. Pamela Jones JP.