fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Joe Hillary <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Joe Hillary <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:31:38 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: FOR YOUR COMPENSATION
Â Note that i'm successful transferred the funds with a help of a new partner and Presently I'm in Kuwait for oil investment projects with him and I kept an ATM DEBIT VISA CARD of Us$550,000.00 for your compensation towards your past effort and Quickly contact my secretary.
Mr.Don Jackson.Email address.(email@example.com).
I may not have access to communicate with my secretary due to the oil investment project i have at hand here in Kuwait and i left him an instruction for your contact .this is your PIN CODE of the ATM DEBIT VISA CARD and it is only the card that my secretary will be send to you.
Best regards,Mr.Joe Hillary