fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: mary Buzarka <email@example.com>
Reply-To: mary Buzarka <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 04:01:23 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: From Mrs.Mary Buzarka
Â From Mrs.Mary Buzarka
Email contact( email@example.com )
Address: Abidjan, Cote dâIvoire.
It's a pleasure meeting you today, how is everything with you, hope all is well with you. I am Mrs.Mary Buzarka from Centrala African Republic. I lost my husband during the Seleka rebels attack, my husband was a serving director of the industrial mining Eiti board until his untimely death.
He was assassinated when coming back from his office by the Seleka rebels during the political uprising, before his death he had a consignment containing US$6.5 Million (Six Million Five hundred thousand US Dollars) which was concealed in a metallic trunk box deposited with a security and finance company under a secret arrangement as a family treasure, the security company does not know the content of this box.
Being that this part of the world experiences political instability time without number, there is no guarantee of lives and property, I cannot invest this money here any longer, I want you to do me a favor to receive this funds in your country as the beneficiary to enable the security Company carry out the shipment.
I have plans to invest this money in continuation with the Investment vision of my late husband, but not in this place again rather in your country. I have the vision of going into real estate and industrial production.
I want you to help me contact the security company as my late husband foreign business partner, after receiving the prove from me to enable the company release the consignment to you diplomatically, while I join you on the arrival of the box. All you need to do is to help me contact the security company and introduce yourself as my late husband's foreign business partner requesting the shipment of the box.
And as soon as Diplomatic shipping agent approved the shipment and tell you the arrival date of the box then I will join you to give you 20% of the money instantly for the help and 5% for any expense you might insure during the transfer before I go on with the reposed investment in your domain.
Please if you are interested to help me receive this consignment in your country as my late husband's foreign business partner, kindly respond in swift to enable me contact the Security company and submit your name for the preparation of the shipment. so that I'll give you details. Waiting anxiously for your anticipated corporation.Thanks and God bless
Rue 18 Avenue 11 bngre
Abobo-BP 982 Abidjan 01
Email contact( firstname.lastname@example.org )