fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: Mrs Roxana Mohtadi <>
Reply-To: Mrs Roxana Mohtadi <>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 02:50:01 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: From. Mrs Roxana Mohtadi.

 Dear beloved,

I sent this mail hoping that it get's to you in good health. Myself, I'm in a very critical health condition in which I go to bed every night knowing I may not be alive to see the next day. My name is Mrs. Roxana Mohtadi from Iran but I'm contacting you from a hospital where I wrote this mail in tears hoping to let you know of my ordeal. I use to be married to the late Dr Usman Mohtadi who worked with Iran embassy in Ouagadougou the capital city of Burkina Faso: in west Africa for nine years before his death in October 2005 as a result partial stroke sickness. We married for thirteen years but had no child. So I made a decision to live out the rest of my life as his widow.

Very shortly before my husband’s death, he made a deposit of {11.9usd} eleven million nine hundred thousand United States dollars with a bank in Ouagadougou Burkina Faso. He made this deposit in his name. Presently this money still in the bank here. He made this money available for exportation of Gold from Burkina mining. I'm now the only one who knows of this particular fund and presently I'm in this hospital bed dying of cancer since the doctor has made it clear that I'm no longer responding to medications, indicating that I will not be living much longer, but I will prefer to die in this hospital than go home to face more insults and humiliation from my husband relatives who took away all my money and jewels and left me uncared for.

Having considered my position, I have decided to use you to carry out my plan. I will guide you to receive the eleven million nine hundred U S dollars and you will take 30% of it for yourself and your family while you will use the other 70% and build an orphanage home for the motherless children in your location or anywhere of your choice. This is because I'm an orphan and does not have any relative. This has been my wish before this sickness came between my plans. Please you must follow this directive or I will look for another person. The only reason I will not entrust the fund and project to someone around here is because I'm making it a top secret so that the news doesn’t get to my husband relatives who will not allow the fund to be used for humanitarian work and will quickly confiscate the money and have it shared among them.

However, if you are not capable of handling this task or do not have confidence in this message please kindly delete it and accept my sincere apology for contacting you in this manner, but if you have confidence in it and can handle the task then kindly indicate by responding. I will be waiting to hear from you.

Thanks and regards,

Mrs Roxana Mohtadi.

Anti-fraud resources: