fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer into your account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: douglas timothy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: douglas timothy <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:53:34 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Urgent Please,
Â Urgent Please,
My name is Mrs Rose Robert, I have been surffering from Ovarian cancer disease and the doctor says that i have just few days to leave.I am
from Belgium, but based in Burkina Faso,Africa since ten years ago as a business woman dealing with cocoa exportation,now that i am about to
end the race like this,without any family members and no child.I have $1 Million US DOLLARS in EcoBank here in Burkina Faso
which i instructed the bank to give African union leaders to help sick people around Africa.But my mind is not at rest because of that i am
writing thisletter now through the help of my Doctor beside me here in my hospital room. I also have $3.1 Million US Dollars in Bank Of
Africa Burkina Faso,
which i want you to claim from the bank and use it to help lesspreviledge people in your country,but you must assure me that you will
take only 40% of the total money and give the rest 60% to the orphanage home in your country,
for my heart to rest.Upon the receipt of your email that you are willing and capable to execute my plan, i will instruct the bank
management to make an immediate transfer into your account. forther more as soon as you receive the massge if you want to reply me i will
want you to reply me with your personal information and you will also send me a copy id to forward to them that you are the person I am
willing my wealth.
Mrs Rose RobertÂ