fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Susan Walter <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Susan Walter <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:17:28 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: BE CAREFUI !!!
My name is Susan Walter, I live at 8763 Pelican Dr.La Grange IL 60525,United States.
I am one of those that executed a contract in Nigeria years ago but they refused to pay me, I have paid over $70,000 USD trying to get my payment with no results.
A person directed me to travel over to England with all my contract documentsto meet Barr Richard Cohen, he is the member of CONTRACT PAYMENT COMMITTEE andLEGAL ADVISER to the COMMITTEE in the United Nation, Uk, I contacted him and he explained everything to me on telephone and advised me to travel to United Kingdon,which I did.
He said that those contacting us through emails are fake. Then he took me to the paying bank, which is Hsbc Bank London, Uk, and I am the happiest woman after receiving my contract funds of $8.2Million USD.
In the process of searching for my file,I saw your information on awaiting payment list in the office of Barr Richard Cohen Â .Though I did not however, see all your contact details lest your fax number.
Am sorry contacting you so late as I had planned doing it as soon as I arrive back home.
I have been so busy because we are trying to set up a factory here with the money we received.
So if you are interested,please do contact Barr Richard Cohen with the information below,explain yourself to him . he is a honest and humble person.
Alternately, mention my name to him he will help you.
Name: Barr Cohen RichardEmail: email@example.comEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org number:+4470319836555Fax South African office: +27865127193Address: 5-7 DORMER PLACE LEAMINGTON SPA,Â Â Â Â WARWICKSHIRE , CV 325 AEÂ Â Â Â LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
When contacting Barrister Richard ,re-confirm your details to him and also submit this file number : (PF/TY6574/UN)
He will use the above file number to get your file info easily.
You really have to stop your dealing with those contacting you,they will drain your resources until you have nothing to eat.
The only money I needed to pay was just 700 GBP for the clearance to my fund,So please take note of that. You can reach me on this telefax number: 1-208-248-3647