fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 13:20:31 +0100
Subject: I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE FOR INVESTMENT
My Name is MR. RICHARD DAVID, from United Kingdom. I currently work in
As United Nations Envoy/Ambassador I made the sum of $12.5 000.000,
Million, us dollars) in an Oil deal I did with some Iraq citizens.
But I can't move this fund to my country the United Kingdom without
Question due to my status as United Nations Ambassador I want to move
Fund somewhere and invest it. All arrangement is already in place to
Fund through a security company we must keep a very low profile of
Communication Agreement for security reasons
I am looking for Matured and God fearing person to receive this fund
on my be
Half, I am
Offering %30 of the total sum and the remaining %70 will be invested
And my proposal is to invest on real Housings Estate investment and
invest as development I hope to hear back from you
Sends below this information
1 Full Name
4. Phone number
5 Email ;
8 Resident address
Scan Copy of your ID Proof:
Thank and Best Regards
Mr. Richard David