fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "money laundering" ("anti-terrorist", "anti-money laundering" or "drug-free" certificates are a common way for criminals in fake lottery scams and other Advance Fee scams to get you to send money to them. There are no such certificates in the real banking world. )
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "FROM NIGERIA E.F.C.C" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 12:27:51 +0400
Subject: RE: RECOVERY OF YOUR LOST MONEY.... FROM E.F.C.C NIGERIA.
ATTENTION TO YOU ALL BENEFICIARIES,
We the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of Nigeria and the Scotland Yard Police, Interpol, Federal Bureau of Investigation, (FBI) United States of America and all the African Crime fighter leaders have come together to stop scam/internet fraud in Nigeria and all round Africa.
To your interest we have recovered over US$90.6 Billion United State Dollars from the people we have behind bars, and below are their names.
1) Dr. Charles Soloudo (2)Sanusi Lamido (2) Ms. Carman L. Lapointe (2) Micheal Edward (3) Chief Joseph Sanusi (3) Dr Godwin Emefiele (4) Mrs. Sherry Williams (5) Robert S. Mueller, III (6) Barrister David Scott (7) Mr. James B. Comey Jr (8) Barrister Ucheuzo Williams (9) Dr. Patrick Aziza Deputy Governor - Policy / Board Member (10) Mr. Dan Rochas (I.M.F) (11) Mrs. Tanner Williams (12) Mr Wilson Norman (13) Dr. Godwin Oboh: Director Union Bank Of Nigeria. (14) Mr. John Collins: Global Diplomat Director. (15) Foreign fund diplomatic courier16) Mrs. Jennifer Saldana (17) Mr Jim Ovia: Zenith Bank Plc In Nigeria (18) Mr. Davis (19) Paul, And many others that are yet to be written shortly,
Our duty is to make sure we stop internet scam and money laundering, thatís why we go all over Africans to pick this internet rats, and over 6,273 of them are in our jail around Africa and we are still looking for more.
We are aware that a lot of foreigners out there have been deceived and lost their hard earn money to these fraudsters after promising them percentages in their letters/e-mails for their impending help to move funds out Africa including fake lottery winning notification and at the end of the day, they will collect thousands of dollars from you without a successful end. It was agreed that to retain the good image of our country and the rest of African countries, we hereby grant to all the victims who lost his/her hard earn money to these faceless thieves to contact the only elected Barrister in this county (Nigeria) Mrs. Ann Barbara Soroka for your compensation payment.
This we assume will help you start a new life, Please, we apologies that you take our offer as little as it is due to the fact that (victims) in our pay list are too numerous, We en-back on this pay back from the money we recovered from these fraudsters so please accept our offer.
PLEASE: be advice that you are to pay the sum of US$460.00 for the obtaining of your FUND PERMUT while contacting the Barrister, We expect your urgent response to this E-mail to enable us monitor this payment effectively by making contact with Barrister Ann Soroka Barbara as directed to avoid further delay.
PLEASE BE ADVICE TO DO SO QUICKLY BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR.
Contact Name: Barrister Ann Soroka Barbara
Contact Email Address: email@example.com
Thanks And Remain Bless
Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde.
Acting Chairman of E.F.C.C NIGERIA.
OFFICE ADDRESS: No. 5, Fomella Street, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent,
Wuse II, Abuja, Nigeria.
Hotline 1: +234 7084357793
Hotline 2: +234 9 904773