fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "security keeping fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Anthony Daniel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Anthony Daniel <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 15:22:06 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: CONTACT DHL COMPANY!!
Â Attention: customer.
This is to bring to your notice that because of the impossibility of your fund transfer through our western union network, we have credited your total $5.500.000.00. Legitimate usd into an ATM VISA card, and we have paid the delivery fee of your ATM VISA card to you, we paid it because your ATM VISA card worth of $5.500, 000.00 which we have registered for deliver, has less than seven days to expire in the custody of the DHL COMPANY and when it expires, the money will go into federal government treasury account.
For that we decided to help you pay off the money so that your ATM VISA card will not expire, because we trust that when you receive your ATM VISA card, definitely you must pay back and even compensate us for helping you.
Like we stated earlier, the delivery charges has been paid ,therefore the only money you were advice to send to them is their security official keeping fees $125usd only.
Therefore you should contact them with the below contact information;
Company name; DHL express customer service.
Logistic Manager: Rosemary David,.
Phone: +234-816 688 7951
Contact them today with your full details information;
Your Full Name;.......................................
Your Residence Home Address;..........................
A Copy of You Identification............................
Your Direct Phone ;......................................
Try to indicate all this codes to them because it will prove that you are the rightful person that own the atm card deposited in their custody.
Shipment Code awb 33xzs,
Atm Card Registered Code No xgt442.
Security Code sctc/2001dhx/567/;
Transaction Code 233/cstc/101/33028/;
Certificate Deposit code; sctc/bun/xxiv/-78/01
This is to avoid wrong delivery, do that urgent to avoid increase of their security keeping fees and let us know once you receive your ATM VISA card.