fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "ZENITH BANK PLc" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:13:58 -0600
Subject: WE ARE READY TO TRANSFER YOUR FUNDS DIRECTELY
How are you today?
I write to you based on the meeting held consigning your compensated funds attached via ATM MasterCard value sum of $2.500.000.00 for installmental withdraw usage as previously approved by the board of directors Zenith Bank Plc. A concrete shipping arrangement was made in your behalf with the courier service to have your parcel ATM MasterCard delivered immediately the shipping terms and condition are been fulfilled in favor to have your parcel ATM MasterCard to your door address for pickup. The courier director wrote several emails to you and waited for your response, which you never responded so they can secure the shipping paper works required to have your CARD delivered to you.
Now Since you ignored response with the courier email and terms to have your ATM MasterCard to your door address for pickup, the shipping authorities have just terminated the shipment with their service and your parcel ATM MasterCard has been returned back to this office. Now i am thinking of securing an Online Banking Account in your Name here and make total deposit of your funds value $2.500.000.00 from your ATM MasterCard into the online account that will be registered in your name.
Please do think about that and let us hear from you with go ahead/permission to commence with our idea of depositing your funds with the (GT Bank Plc) with your total funds value of (Two Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) into your Online Account here. The Bank will issue you details, Login USER NAME and PASSWORD to access your fund balance, and to also make transfer from your account here to your personal Bank account there. The method is very strategic and easy for the transfer to your personal without stress.
We are ready to setup this account with (GT Bank Plc) that is if your desire the method by reconfirming the details below to Mr.Anthony Morrison at ( email@example.com ) Direct cell number: +234 809-227-3438
Your Full Name :
Your Address :
Your Nationality :
Your Next Of Kin :
Your Present Country :
Your Direct Cell Number :
Your passport identification :
After reconfirming the details required, you are to send the opening fee of 200.00 to make the account active in your name with the bank. Also know that the opening fee will remain in your account as additional fee that can be transferred as well. Be inform that the opening fee 200.00 can not be deducted from your ATM MasterCard, due to you as a foreign beneficiary.
Once all processing is completed, the Bank shall forward Certificate of Deposit in your name before you can commence with your funds transfer immediately.
We look forward to hear from you to proceed.
We await to settle your remittance with the transferring Bank within 72Hrs.
Thanks for your co-operation.