fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. John Mann" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "Mr. John Mann" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 18:51:14 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Your consignments is left in the Storage House
I am Â Mr. John Mann ,the Assistant Director, Inspection Unit in Muritala Muhammed International Airport,Nigeria.During my recent withheld package routine check at the Airport Storage Vault,I discovered an abandoned shipment from a Diplomat that failed to deliver your consignment and when scanned, it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in two Metal Trunk Boxes weighing approximately 25kg each.The consignment was abandoned because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as "MONEY" rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid interogation and also the inability of the diplomat to pay for the Non Inspection charges.The consignment is still left in our Storage House here at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport,Nigeria till date.The details of the consignment including your EMAIL ADDRESS,NAME and an ENVELOP contains PAPERWORK tagged on the Metal Trunk boxes.
However, to enable me confirm Â that you are the actual recipient of this consignment as the assistant director of the Inspection Unit, I will advise you reconfirm the following information:
Your Full Name
Your Full Address
Your Contact Phone/Mobile Number
to enable me cross check if it corresponds with the address on the official documents. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have been returned to the Treasury Department as unclaimed delivery due to the delays in concluding the clearance processes so as a result of this, I will not be able to receive your details on my official email account. So in order words to enable me cross check your details,I will advise you send the required details to my private email address" " for quick processing and response.Once I receive your details, I can get everything concluded within 3 -4 working days upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery with the assistance of a diplomat.
Lastly, be informed that the reason I have taken it upon myself to contact you personally about your abandoned consignment is because I did not want to your local associate to claim your consignments since it is yet to be return to the Nigeria Treasury Department after being abandoned by the diplomat so immediately the confirmation is made, I will make every possible effort to assist you with my position here,release your consignment and arrange for the boxes to be delivered to your door step after all arrangements have been perfected . Be rest assured of receiving your consignments.Â
I am still on inspection for the week, just email me and make sure you include your mobile number so that I can give you a call. Reply to my email address for further information in details.
I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive
Mr. John Mann
Assistant Director,Inspection UnitÂ
Muritala Muhammed International Airport,Nigeria