fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "with your full names" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand u.s dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "dormant account" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Ayman Mansour" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:38:39 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: "TOP SECRET" YOUR URGENT REPLY NEED.
Â My Dear,
I have a proposal for you, this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honor the content against your will. I am Mr.Ayman Mansour; I work with a bank (one of the leading banks in Africa). Here in this bank exists a dormant account for the past 14years which belongs to an American national who is now late, by name Engineer Christian Eich the account owner an engineer who owns a Carmaker BMW's Museum, his wife and two children and his wife's parents were also among the victims in a plane crash of Alaska airlines flight number AF4590 which crashed on 31st July, 2000.
When I discovered that there had been no deposits or withdrawals from this account for this long period, I decided to carry out a system investigation and discovered that none of the family members or relations of the late person is aware of this account. Now I want an account overseas where the bank will transfer this fund.
Thereafter, I will destroy all related documents to this account. It is a careful network and for the past eleven months I have worked out everything to ensure a hitch-free operation. The amount plus all the accumulated interest is (Us$6.2m)( Six million two hundred thousand u.s dollars.).
As I intend giving you 40% of the total amount Consider these and get back to me as soon as possible with your full names, private telephone, Mobile and fax numbers, corresponding postal address, etc. Finally, it is my humble request that the information as contained herein be accorded with every confidentiality and the necessary secrecy it deserves I expect your urgent response.
Please reply with the assurance, come up with the information's showed below:-
1) YOUR FULL NAME.............
2) YOUR AGE.....................
3) YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER.......
4) YOUR OCCUPATION..............
NOTE: THIS TRANSACTION IS STRICLY AND CONFIDENTIAL.