fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "moneygram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- MoneyGram money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. Along with Western Union it is a preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Paul Gibson" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:45:02 -0300
Subject: INTERESTED APPLICANTS (HOW TO APPLY)
Do you have access to the internet and have up to two hours spare time
per-day? if YES, you can get paid.
Would you like to work part time or full time online from home and get
paid weekly? If yes, take your time and read the below job proposal
ESP Technologies Group Ltd is a diversified technology and manufacturing
company, dealing with aerospace products and services; control
Technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive product
based in, England, United Kingdom
We currently have an opening for part or full time employees for our
ever-growing Accounts Receivable Department in The United States and
Canada. If this sounds like you, please read on, And consider becoming
part of our family.
The position of Accounts Receivable officer entails the following duties:
1.Remittance of funds to your financial institution by our clients
2. Forward 80 percent of funds received to one of our branches and
keep the remaining 20 percent as your wage
Our payment mode will be on commission and salary basis, for every
assignment in form of payments Received from clients, you're entitled to
20% of the total worth of the payment which excludes the cost of
processing Western union or moneygram to any of our regional office Accountant and
also $1000 salary will come at every month end
INTERESTED APPLICANTS (HOW TO APPLY)
Interested applicants should reply with
Full address: (p.o.box not accepted)
State, zip code:
Kindly email the above requested information. Once received,our Human Resource Manager will contact you through email stating the status of your application
Please specify the best way to contact you in your reply to email@example.com
Director, Human Resource Department
ESP Technologies Group Ltd.