fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Kumar Ibrahim <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Kumar Ibrahim <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:32:07 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Dear Respectful
I am very happy this day to be in contact with you, i believe it is only a day that people know and become good and family friends, There is
something very important i will like to tell you but ever since, i was
afraid because i do not know you yet but today i decided in my mind to
contact you and disclose this to you because i know my contact with you
is a divine contact.
My name is Ibrahim Kumar the only son of late Mr. Razak Kumar, i am writing you from Rep of Cote d'Ivoire where i have been taking
refuge after the brutal war and Murder of my parents by the rebels
during the renewed Fighting in our country in 2011.Because of the war my late Father sold his shipping company and took me to a nearby country
Cote d'Ivoire where h e deposited US$4,000,000.00 Million Dollars in his foreign account with one of the prime bank here in Cote d'Ivoire.
Please i have prayed before contacting you with the trust in God that you and
your family will be of help to me and coupled with the current political situation here in Cote d'Ivoire now, i am seeking for a foreign
partner/guardian that will assist me transfer this money to his account
and use it for investment purpose such as real estate management or
hotel management or any other good business over there I am honorably
seeking your assistance in the following ways: (1) To serve as a
guardian of this Money since I am only 20years. (2) To make arrangement
for me to come over to your country to further my Education and to
secure a resident permit in your country Moreover,
I am willing to offer you a good percentage from the total sum as
compensation for your effort/input after the successful transfer of this money into your nominated a ccount in your country. Furthermore, you
will indicate your option towards assisting me as I believe that this
transaction would be concluded within seven (7 days you signify interest to assist me).
I wait for your soonest response and God will surly bless you and your
family as you do everything possible to help me out in this
Best regards,Kumar Ibrahim