fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Barou Sabine <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 01:57:33 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: From Barou Sabine
>From Barou Sabine
I am Miss Barou Sabine, I am the only Daughter of my late parents. I have a business proposal for you. I got your contact after reading your profile and decided to contact you through your official email address. I have an amount of US$ 4.5 Million dollars been inherited from my late father.I want to partner with you into an investments with the funds in your country and i need your assistance to transfer the funds to your account for the investments in your country.
I am willing to offer you 20% of the total funds for your efforts input to transfer the funds to your account. The remaining 80% will be invested in your country where you have a wide experience of good investments.
Please it is very important, you indicate your interest if you are interested so that i can give you more details on how we will proceed.
Awaiting your immediate response
Thanks and remain bless.