fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "service fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo, Canada; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- below! name: fbi agent. mark ruben email: firstname.lastname@example.org alternative email: email@example.com you are advised to (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MISS DONNA GWEN" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:53:06 -0600
Subject: (FBI) COMPLIMENT OF THE SEASON...... YOUR $3.5 MILLION USD OUT FOR DELIVERY TO YOUR DOOTSTEP TODAY!
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI. WASHINGTON DC.
ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
FBI HEADQUARTERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING.
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001
Attention: Lucky Beneficiary,
We the FBI at the Scammed Victims Compensation Unit would like to bring to your notice that your email address has won you the sum of $3.5, 000,000.00 ($3.5 million USD) from the United Nations World Organizations (UNO) due to the uncontrollable fraudulent activities which has been going on in the United State Of America and most part of the World.
So due to this reason the Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon and the President of the FBI James Comey after having a separate and private meeting about these they decided to compensate the rightful owners of those emails with the sum of $3.5 million each which your email address was among the email group. So that is why we are in contact with you so therefore you absolutely have nothing to worry about for your own share of $3.5 Million USD must get to you.
However the National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the current Governor of Washington DC his Excellency Governor Jay Inslee to boost these exercise of clearing all foreign debts owned to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the likes.
Now this is how you can receive your Compensation Funds Award worth the sum of $3.5 Million USD by ATM Debit Master Card issued directly from Then "World Interswitch Bank of America.
ATM Debit Mater Card: We will be issuing you an ATM Debit Master Card which you can be able to withdraw up to $10,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2018. Also with the ATM Debit Mater Card you will be able to transfer Money into your local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook manual to enlighten you on how to make use it. You can get this ATM card even if you do not have a bank account.
we have signed a contract with UPS which should expire in next three weeks. But before the UPS can leave for your doorstep you will only need to pay for their Delivery fee to your home which is only $380 Dollars instead of paying $565 Dollars thereby saving you $185 Dollars and if you pay before the three weeks of December 2014 you save yourself $185. Take note that anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is definitely Imposters and you will have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any.
Note: Every order Bills and Taxes has been taken care of by the Federal Government of Washington DC, The United Nation and also the United State FBI, the UPS Courier service delivery fee is all you will ever have to pay which is $380 USA Dollars only. Do not send money to anyone until you read this and have heard from me. The actual fees for shipping your ATM card is $565 dollars but because UPS have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $565 to $380 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort!
Below are few list of tracking numbers you can track from the (UPS) Website (WWW.UPS.COM). To confirm beneficiaries like you who have received their payment successfully.
JOHNNY ALMANTE ==============1Z2X59394198080570
GARY METZGER ==============1Z2X59394195952759
GLEN PAPANIKAS ==============1Z2X59394198690947
To effect the release of your Compensation funds valued at $3.5,000,000.00 USD ($3.5 Million USA dollars) you are advised to contact our correspondent at the FBI Headquarters in Washington DC the delivery officer Agent Mark Ruben with this contact information below!
Name: FBI AGENT. Mark Ruben
Alternative Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are advised to contact him with the information's as stated below; thereby making your UPS Courier delivery fee of $380.00 USD available to avoiding much delays:
Your full Name............
Upon receipt of payment details been confirmed available the UPS delivery officer will ensure that your package is delivered to you personally within 24 working hours, Because we are so sure of everything and we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive Compensation Funds Award within the next 24 hrs after you have made the payment for shipping your package to you, And make sure that you keep the receipt of the $380 payment that you made because that is the prove you will show to the delivery team when they arrive at your doorstep with your package.
Note: This email fully under supervision of the FBI and will be until you have your ATM card at your door step, so kindly follow the instruction and have this Card delivered to your address without any more delay by paying the UPS Courier Delivery service fee and send to United State FBI Approved officer Mark Ruben As stated above.
Miss Donna Gwen
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001