fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "affidavit " (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "calvary greetings" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Joy Adama <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Joy Adama <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:15:24 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Donation From Mrs joy Adama
My Dearest in the Lord,Â Â Â
Calvary greetings to you in the name of our LORD Jesus Christ. I am Mrs. joy Adama from Kuwait. I was married to Mr. Emmauel Adama who worked with Kuwait embassy in Cote d'Ivoire for nine years before he died last year. We were married for eleven years without a child. My husband died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were both born again Christians.
My dear, I know that you are surprise on receiving this letter, but as a child of the living God, you should know that our ways is not his ways. My Bible tells me that he works in many ways and all things works out for good to them that believed in Christ Jesus.Â In fact, It is also by the leading of the holy spirit of God that I choose you in obedience and love to
Â fulfill the desire of my late husband that I supported to the glory of God. I want you to understand that this benevolence is in fulfillment of the desire and decision of my late husband which I am persuaded to actualize.
Since the death of my beloved husband, I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of US$3,5 million dollars ($3,500,000.00) in a bank here in Abidjan Cote dâIvoire. Presently, this money is still in the bank.
Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the period of nine months due to my cancer problem. The one that disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a charity organization, church, Christian organization, or a true believer that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein.
I want this fund to be used
Â for orphanages, schools, churches, widows, and the less privilege people in propagating the word of God and to make sure that the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that "Blessed is the hand that gives". I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are unbelievers and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers.
I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the LORD. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephonic communication in this regard because of my health condition andÂ the presence of my late husband's relatives around me always trying to claim this money from me which my husband left for me. I don't
Â want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible.
I will want you to handle this on your own since my health can not allow me as I have been placed on medical dialysis check up periodically. Even I am writing this letter with the assistance of a sister who uses to help me. I will want you to send me your full name and address so that I can swear to an affidavit on oath that will officially and legally approved you as the next of kin to this fund so that even if I am dead your claim to this fund in the bank will not be in doubt. I will be sending you the affidavit of oath and certificate of deposit of this fund immediately after the affidavit is ready.
As soon as I receive your reply i shall give you the contact of the bankÂ Â in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire where this money was deposited by my beloved husband. I will also issue you the affidavit of oath that will legally and officially approve you
Â the next of kin and new beneficiary to the fund together with the certificate of deposit of this fund which my late husband used to pay the money in the bank. I want you to always pray for me because the LORD is my shepherd.
My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whosoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.
I want you to send the following items to me for the procession of the affidavit:
(1) Your full name......................
(2) Your address........................
(3) Your Nationality....................
(4) Your Age / Sex........................
(5) Your Occupation.......................
(6) Your marital status....................
(7) Your direct telephone number...............
(8) Your photo......................Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Â need these informationâs very urgent. Any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another person for this same purpose.
I am hoping to receive your urgent reply.
Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ
MrsÂ joy Adama.