fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Clerk; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: helen ubuka <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: helen ubuka <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:44:26 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: PAYMENT TRANSFER WITH SECRET DISKETTE WITH MRS.LISA GARRY..
This is to let youÂ as you did meet up my demand of me coming to do the transfer with your homeÂ computer IPÂ IÂ haveÂ
giveÂ Mrs.LisaÂ GarryÂ your Diskette paymentÂ online information'sÂ to transfer the Five Millions Dollars for you she aÂ
bankerÂ and good friend of me, last when i invitedÂ AmericaÂ I WasÂ with her.Â do contact her on the below emailÂ sheÂ will
help you use her computer IPÂ and do your online diskette transfer with original codes transferÂ and noted everything you
will do with her is secret as i have remove this funds through diskette online from CBNÂ I don'tÂ want my Government or the
New CBNÂ Governor to knowÂ this you must keep secret until she done with your transfer.Â all you needs to confirm to her
your bank information sheÂ do it bit by bit to your accounts you will give to her,Â after she doneÂ with your transfer you
will give herÂ 10%Â for her assistanceÂ and give meÂ 20%Â for my share as iÂ help youÂ secret to removed this funds.
This is reality Diskette online payment I have use this way to removeÂ someÂ clientÂ fundsÂ secretÂ i want you to have your
funds that is reasonsÂ why i still contact youÂ again and I have plead to Mrs. LisaÂ to help you with her computer IPÂ to
transfer it for you .Â here i can not use my country bank IP because if i use it they will block the transferÂ andÂ made
case with meÂ and sack me so i don;t want toÂ take that risk,Â feel freeÂ Mrs.LisaÂ will do it perfectly with you.
Mrs. LisaÂ Garry.
(International Remittance Department)
8400Â Long PointÂ Road,
Email Department.Â firstname.lastname@example.org
If you agreeÂ to thisÂ get back to meÂ and do contact herÂ or do still want to do it by your self with your homeÂ computer
do let me know,Â she is aÂ banker sheÂ will doÂ itÂ nobody will know about this, i have try all my best for you both
software codesÂ costÂ me. but i did not ask you to buy it, i buy it by my self.Â sorry for all the delay this is the lastÂ
and end you shall have your funds soonÂ just be happy and complyÂ with her.Â Respond to my mailÂ Â
get back as soon you have this mail. my secretÂ phone 234 -Â 8085551698