fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: Stella Hans <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Stella Hans <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:09:29 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: THE COCA-COLA BOTTLING COMPANY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARDS 2014
Â THE COCA-COLA COMPANY PROMOTION Â PRIZE AWARDDEPT Â COCA-COLA AVENUE STAMFORD BRIDGE LONDON.
SW1V 3DW UNITED KINGDOM.
Ref Number: REF NO: is (CCC-0I0MD1512)
Ticket Number (7PWYZ-2014)
Ballot Number (BT:1205-2014/20)
THE COCA-COLA BOTTLING COMPANY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARDS 2014:
Congratulation your account has won you a prize money of one million Great Britain Pounds was randomly selected and entered into our free Third Category draws. You have subsequently emerged a winner and therefore entitled to a substantial amount of one million Great Britain Pounds(Â£1,000000.00) for the 2014 Â promo draws. Kindly confirm receipt of this email by forwarding your details to the claims department.
I wish to seize this opportunity to acquaint you with guidelines as you must follow in order to complete your claims. On our part, we have a mandate to see you through. We will work assiduously to realize this mandate as we respect your views, opinions and most importantly protect your privacy.
This Promotion is approved by the British Gaming Board and also licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR). This Promotional Awards of Prize is the 3rd of its kind and we intend to sensitize the public. In other to claim your prize winning, please contact our fiduciary agent for claims with the contact below,
My Winner Mobile Number:
My Second Mobile if any
My Full Name:Â
My E-mail Address:Â
My House Telephone:
My Marital Status:
My Prize Amount:
SELECT PREFERRED MODE OF PAYMENT FROMÂ
THE LIST BELOW:
(A)Delivery Of Cheque....................
(beer) Bank To Bank Transfer................
(coffee) ATM Master Credit Card ...............
(8.)How Do You Feel As A Winner:.........
Congratulations on behalf of the entireÂ
management and Â staff of the Coca-Cola Company Plc.
Contact Phone Number: (00447042054361)
direct email contact:EMAIL CONTACT.(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact E-mail Address: email@example.com
The Coca-Cola Company. Copy Right 2014 All Rights Reserved:THE COCA-COLA COMPANY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARD 2014