fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. FRANK WILLIAMS" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: "MR. FRANK WILLIAMS" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 07:07:06 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: YOUR PACKAGE HAS ARRIVED IN UNITED STATE
Â Attention: My Dear
We have finally succeeded in getting your package worth of US$4,5Million out of delivery with the help of Dr David Don Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin Republic which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin.So every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with the Agent Mr Elton Louis and every Documents guiding your delivery is well updated so you are advice to re-confirm your full delivery information to the Agent right now as he is currently at Wisconsin International Airport in USAÂ with your consignment box, As he called me this morning to inform me that he misplaced your delivery address which he has.
So you are advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat and call him with this number (608) 561-1617 so as to have easy conversation with him and to enable you give him full direction to get your package delivered to you and hand you over your package safely and sound, Furthermore you are advice to be very fast as Mr. Elton Louis has no time to waste due to his flight ticket,
So the Information you are Required to Reconfirm to the Agent is as Follow.
(1)Your Full Name=============
(2)Mobile Phone Number======
(3)Current Home Address========
(7)Nearest Airport ==============
(8)A copy of your ID
As he is at Wisconsin International Airport in USA right now because of the Searching and Scanning of the consignment box which made him to misplace your address. So contact him to deliver your package first thing tomorrow morning possibly today, So get back to us immediately you contact the Agent to make sure that your fund has getting to you without any hitch.
Please try to make sure that you contact him with this information.
Name-... Agent .Elton Louis
Contact number :....(608) 561-1617. call or sms So contact him to deliver your Consignment box first thing tomorrow morning or possibly today, So get back to us immediately you contact the Agent to make sure that your fund has getting to you without any hitch.
Furthermore remember the Agent delivering the Consignment Box does not know the content of that consignment box is money, Because the Attorney which represented you registered it as a family value to avoid hitch during the delivery so unknown circumstances should you let him know the content of that consignment box is to avoid lost of your fund as your Consignment was Sign and Stamp by Federal Ministry of Justice to make sure that it is protected until it gets to you.
Director of DHL Company
Mobile: (+229)Â 686-743-40