fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. OWEN IBRAHIM (ESQ)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: "MR. OWEN IBRAHIM (ESQ)" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:38:20 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Your Transfer Payment first $5,000
Â I am contacting you because I've sent you the first payment of $5,000 today from your Compensation funds total amount of $15.5Million, United State Dollar Therefore you need to Contact Western UnionÂ® agent Mr. Jerry Young, for him to give you the transfer payment information and MTCN.
Director: Mr. Jerry Young,Email firstname.lastname@example.orgEmail email@example.comTel: +229 99139024
And contact him with your full information
1. Full Name:2. Full Address:3. Citt,State,Zip code:4. Phone Number:5. Nationality:6. Sex:8. Occupation:Copy of your Identification: Drivers License OR International Passport:
Please try to contact him today for him to forward the payment information to you, remember to Indicate the registration code of EB-2237 to him when E-mailing or calling him, Also he will be sending you $5,000.00 daily as per our office discussion with him.Do get in touch with me once you have received the transfer. Â Please copy this Email(firstname.lastname@example.org) and paste before replying to him.or simply call him at his number: +229 9913-9024Â
Sincerely,MR. OWEN IBRAHIM (ESQ).IMF MANAGING DIRECTORBENIN REPUBLICIMF MANAGING DIRECTOR