fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Susan White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Mrs Susan White <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:18:32 +0900 (JST)
We have finally succeeded in getting your ATM CARD worthy of $5.5million out of delivery your package with the help of Dr William Dagar Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin.
So every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with the Agent Mr. Jeffy Anderson of your package and every Documents guiding your delivery is well updated so you are advice to re-confirm your full delivery information to the Agent right now as he is currently at your City now with your package, As he called me this morning to inform me that he misplaced your delivery address which he has.
So you are advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat and call him with this number
313-468-1210 .so as to have easy conversation with him and to enable you give him full direction to get your package delivered to you and hand you over your package safe and sound, Furthermore you are advice to be very fast as the Agent Mr. William Dagar has no time to waste due to his flight ticket,
So the Information you are Required to Reconfirm to the Agent is as Follow.
Your Full Name
Mobile Phone Number
Current Home Address
So contact him to deliver your package first thing tomorrow morning possibly today, So get back to us immediately you contact the Agent to make sure that your fund has getting to you without any hitch
Furthermore remember the Agent delivering the package does not know the content of that consignment box is money, Because the Attorney which represented you registered it as a family value to avoid hitch during the delivery so unknown circumstances should you let him know the content of that ATM CARD is $5.5million to avoid lost of your fund as your ATM CARD was Sign and Stamp by Federal Ministry of Justice to make sure that it is protected until it gets to you.