fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mr.Jude Adams." <>
Reply-To: "Mr.Jude Adams." <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:11:36 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Please can I have my trust and faith in you in this transaction
please respond back!

 My dear friend,
I know this will come to you as a surprise because you do not know me I am Mr.Jude Adams I work in the Eco-bank Cotonou Benin republic of west Africa, auditing and accounting department I got your contact in my search for a honest person through one of my colleagues here in the Eco-bank who said that I can confidence in you I want you to help me clear this safe box that is already in overseas which I shipped through our Eco-bank accredited security company agent but the contents of the box is ( $12.8 Million united state dollars ) all in $100.00 bills, belonging to our Bank late customer who died earlier this year in a tanker fire clash along with his wife and four children they were involved in Benin petrol tanker explosion incident as people were siphoning petrol the explosion result lost of life killing at least 54 people and many injured including my client and his entire family as they where driving home for weekend stopping on visiting their site where people were siphoning petrol the tanker caught fire and explode our Bank client and his entire family was among the last 16 people that died since then I have made several inquiries to your embassy to locate any of his extended relatives this has also proved unsuccessful.
After these several unsuccessful attempts I decided to locate any member of his family and I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by the deceased before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the security company in Amsterdam Netherlands these huge deposits were lodged particularly with an affiliate security company in Amsterdam Netherlands where the deceased deposited the ( $12.8 Million united state dollars ) as African Treasury so the company did not know the content of the Safe Box because our Bank late client deposited the box as African Treasury so right now the security company in Amsterdam Netherlands has issued a notice to provide the next of kin or have the Safe Box confiscated and since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for Months now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last name so that the security company in Amsterdam Netherlands will proceeds the delivery of the Safe Box that contains the ( $12.8 Million united state dollars ) to your address then after you received the box you and me will share the money 60% for me and my colleague at the office while the remaining and 40% will be for you and your family,All I want you to do for me now is to forward to me this below Information's to me for the delivery if this arrangement is okay by you please reconfirm your direct delivery information for the delivery of the safe box such as,
Your full name?Your home address?Your country?Your direct telephone number?
Please email me at ( ) for security reasons other moralities will be discussed as soon as you get back to me including sending you our secret code of conduct so that our communication will be strictly confidential through e-mail or phone for security reasons.
Yours faithfully,Mr.Jude Adams.E-mail; ( )

Please can I have my trust and faith in you in this transaction please respond back!

Anti-fraud resources: