fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Matthias" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:59:22 -0800
Subject: Attention Friend
Dr.Matthias Van Xavi
350 West 43rd Street
We are in search for a reliable and honest partner that we can entrust with the sum of US$17.5Million.This contract has been executed and full payments have been made to Contractors who executed these contract leaving behind some millions of dollars as an over-invoice/commission for we the committee members to benefit.
These funds originated from some contracts we executed for the Kuwait Oil Contract (KOC) Purpose for the supply and installations of construction of new refinery in the Al-Zour region during the upgrade of existing refineries in Mina Al-Ahmadi and Mina Abdullah oil-pipeline to the new refinery project at Al-Zour,i have all the legal document and contract certificate that for this transaction.
In view of this, my colleagues have mandated me to look for a foreign partner who will receive these fund on our behalf for mutual benefits which means that you will assist us with the transfer process for the payment security company,30% of the total sum will be offering to you and we required the following details below for Quick process.Please send the following information which i will use to process the Legal document and Contract Award Certificate.
1) Your Full Name and Address
2) Your Age and Occupation
3) Your private Telephone number and Fax
This fund was deposited in a bank Netherlands for safe keeping, which I am looking for a good partner that will help me retrieve the funds as I cannot travel out at this moment because of my present predicaments /conditions which I will explain to you as we progress,but my personal assistance is willing to travel any time to Netherlands for the process.
I will send to you detailed information of this business,both the documents and contact details from the bank if you indicate your seriousness to do the business with us, and also enclosing your contact private telephone & fax numbers.
I want to clear you about this, the funds is not from drug deal, its not from arms deals, its not government money and its not for any terrorist or illegal activity, why I am emphasizing on the confidentiality is because I don't want you to be bordered over above issues,This project is 100% risk free, but you must keep it very private and confidential with strong assurance that you will never let me down.
Please are you capable of handling this transaction? Can we be partner? If yes, please contact me immediately so that I will give you more details on how to contact the bank after i send all the document relacted to this transaction to there office.
You are also obliged to help/advise on the proper and most convenient way of investing this money in your country, hopefully, You will consider this request and respond positively.
I expect your prompt reply through my private email (matthias.van.xavi@Safe-mail.net)and let our communication.Please reply only to my private email above urgently. Respectfully,
I will wait for your urgent responce.
Dr.Matthias Van Xavi
National Secretary Amec Contract Award Commission
Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources